Deputy Jailer, Shelby County Fiscal Court
POSITION TITLE: Deputy Jailer
DEPARTMENT: Detention Center
CLASSIFICATION: Protected Service Workers
SALARY RANGE: $16-$18/hour
APPROVED BY: Shelby County Jailer
POSITION REPORTS TO: Shift Sergeant or Lieutenant
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
The incumbent will work in a detention center facility with some facilities having special needs offenders. He/she is responsible for upholding orders and supervising offenders in a safe correctional environment. Incumbent will advise and instruct offenders in their adjustment to institutional living. The incumbent will perform such tasks as patrol assigned areas, supervise and escort offenders in various work details, keep records and prepare reports on offender movement, progress, problems and/or violations of rules. Some assignments may include but not limited to visitor processing, package searches for contraband, vehicles searches, and lock control. Incumbent must also be able to defend oneself physically; act quickly and effectively in an emergency situation and be willing to participate and successfully complete all required training programs. Position is continually exposed to potential physical hazards due to work environment. Errors in judgment could result in injury to staff or offenders or escape of an offender.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
1. Sworn peace officer.
2. Carries firearm during out of facility duty assignments.
3. Attends training as mandated by state regulations.
4. Attends training as mandated by Jailer.
5. Transports inmates to and from work sites, medical treatment, counties-both Shelby and other counties, and other correctional facilities.
6. Trained to provide security in all areas and situations of jail operations.
7. Copes with situations while being contaminated with blood and bodily fluids by inmates.
8. Institutes body searches on each prisoner to ensure that contraband is not being introduced into facility.
9. Provides security for staff and inmates from those arrested for all levels of criminal classification under the guidelines of the Uniform Offense Reports.
10. Daily constant contact with all inmates: county, state and federal levels of incarcerations.
11. Provides cursory medical care for both staff and inmates; certified in both cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid.
12. Booking and releasing inmates as needed.
13. Operates control room and monitors cameras – interior and exterior of building.
14. Passes medication, when necessary.
15. Collects and issues receipts for inmates and their families for Bonds and other state and county fees.
16. Supervises and schedules visits for inmates and their families.
17. Investigates and provides reports on all incidents of suspected illegal activities by inmates inside and outside of the jail.
18. Responsible for maintaining and submitting daily logs of jail incidents and activities.
19. Responsible for conducting at least three documented counts every twenty-four (24) hours.
20. Dispatch over radio and jail communications.
21. Answers phone lines for all incoming calls.
22. Helps in the serving of all meals.
23. Assists medical, as needed.
24. Any and all other duties as assigned by jailer or designee.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Possession of a valid driver’s license from state of residence (proof of license must accompany application).
Must be 21 years of age or older
Never convicted or under indictment for any crime classified as a felony.
Previous experience preferred; on-the-job training required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
2. Ability to learn the regulations and procedures for the facility.
3. Ability to work and remain calm in a high-pressure environment.
4. Ability to remain impartial when interacting with inmates.
5. Excellent time management and organizational skills.
6. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software to prepare reports.
7. Ability to safely operate weapons and tools as needed.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Resident of Shelby County (desired)
Direct Deposit Participation
WORKING CONDITIONS PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Moderate to extreme physical/mental activity under extreme weather conditions.
Potential for hostile environments.
Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
Physically able to detain an inmate if needed.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds at a time.
OVERTIME REQUIREMENTS: Non-exempt
AVAILABILITY: 12-hour shifts – call-ins to be expected
INTENT AND FUNCTIONS OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination decisions. Well-constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system.
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral task, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the American Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reasons not prohibited by law.
Shelby County Fiscal Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer.